Are you looking for an app to restore old photos or digitize them? Well, the good news is that there is plenty of old photo restoration software out there that you can try. While some of these tools are beginner-friendly, a few of them would need prior experience. Don't worry? in this post, I will help you pick the best app to restore old photos from 5 recommended options for Windows and Mac.
Before we learn how to restore old photos with a Mac or Windows 10 app, let's consider the major reasons for using these solutions:
Let's say you have an old photo that you might lose in the long run. Therefore, to avoid such an unwanted situation, you can scan the picture and maintain its software copy to take its backup.
With time, your old photos can get faded or have all kinds of spots. To fix these flaws in your photos, you can use the best program to restore old photos that can enhance the appeal of your images. At times, an old photo restoration software can even colorize your monochromatic images.
After when you restore old photos with any software on Mac/Windows, you can maintain their soft copy. This can automatically act as a long-term solution, letting you store your photos in the cloud, keeping them safe.
Since there are all kinds of old photo restoration free and paid apps out there, let's handpick the top 5 options that you can use.
1. Wondershare Fotophire
Developed by Wondershare, Fotophire is a popular beginner-friendly photo editing tool available for Windows. This is the best app to restore old photos for novices who don't want to go through unwanted editing hassle.
- Fotophire has more than 200 inbuilt effects that you can readily use to improve the overall appearance of your images.
- It also provides a hassle-free solution to cut your image and remove its background.
- The automatic old photo restoration software has a Photo Eraser tool that can easily get rid of any object from your images.
- Apart from that, there are tons of other options in Fotophire to create a slideshow of your images, adjust their sharpness, or focus on any specific area.
- Tons of readily available filters and presets
- Extremely easy to use
- Only a free trial version is available
Runs on: Windows
Price: $49.99 per year or $79.99 for a lifetime
If you are looking for an online app to restore old photos, then you can simply use Fotor. You can use it to create photo collages and easily restore old photos using its inbuilt photo enhancement features.
- Using Fotor, you can crop your images, resize them, and add tons of other inbuilt effects to beautify your photos.
- There are also inbuilt options to remove wrinkles, blemishes, or any other object from your images.
- With just a single click, you can remove the background of your images or restore old photos to enhance their features.
- The online app to restore old photos can also be used to create collages and customize your images for various social media platforms.
- Extremely user-friendly
- Since Fotor is available online, you don't have to download it on your system.
- Limited photo editing and enhancement features
- Only a free trial version is provided
Runs on: Online (multiple platforms supported)
Price: $8.99 per month (Pro) or $19.99 (Pro+)
3. PhotoScape X
PhotoScape has also come up with a free and paid photo editing tool that you can use on your Windows PC or Mac. It is a complete toolkit that can help you view, edit, export, and organize your photos in one place.
- The basic version of PhotoScape X is available for free and offers options like image transition, lossless rotation, circular crop, and so on.
- On PhotoScape, you can find hundreds of filters, overlays, and other effects to improve the quality of your images.
- You can use its healing option to improve any spots on your old photos and can also remove any object from the background.
- Other features include a dedicated color picker, different brushes, spot healing, and exporting of images to different formats.
- The basic version is freely available.
- Tons of add-on features like collage maker, viewer, and more.
- Not available for Linux
- Its Pro version is not free
Runs on: Windows and Mac
Price: Free (for the basic version) and $39.99 for PhotoScape X Pro
GIMP, which stands for GNU Image Manipulator Program, is the best free photo restoration app that you can use on almost any platform. While the application can be a bit difficult to learn, it will provide a 100% free solution to meet all your photo editing needs.
- This is a cross-platform open-source old photo restoration software that you can use on Linux, Windows, or Mac for free.
- There are tons of options in GIMP to enhance the coloring of your photos or automatically heal any spot.
- You can manually change the coloring of any object and get rid of unwanted things from an image's background.
- Since GIMP has such an extensive community, you can easily find all kinds of presets and templates to meet your image restoration requirements.
- Open-source and freely available
- Tons of options to restore old and damaged photos
- Learning GIMP can be a big tough
- No mobile application or cloud support is available
Runs on: Windows, Mac, and Linux
5. Adobe Photoshop
Last, but most importantly, you can use Adobe Photoshop as an ideal old photo restoration software on your computer. The desktop app is extensively used to restore old photos by professionals under all kinds of scenarios.
- While Adobe Photoshop is a bit difficult to learn, it has some of the most advanced features to restore old photos on Mac or Windows.
- You can manually select an area to heal and use its spot healing brush to get rid of any faded spots.
- Adobe Photoshop also provides a hassle-free solution to remove the background of an image or get rid of any object from it.
- It offers tons of other features related to cropping, slicing, color grading, and other options to restore old photos on its app.
- Photoshop offers some of the most advanced features for image editing out there.
- You can also find tons of readily available presets and tutorials for Photoshop.
- Learning Photoshop for beginners can be tough
- Not available for free
Runs on: Windows and Mac
Price: $19.99 per month
As you can see, there can be so many apps to restore old photos on our computer. For your convenience, I have listed both free and paid old photo restoration software in this post. Furthermore, I have listed the best apps to restore old photos for beginners and pros alike. For instance, if you don't have any prior editing experience, then using a tool like Fotophire would be an ideal solution. On the other hand, if you are looking for an open-source best program to restore old photos, then GIMP would be a preferred pick.