Technological advancements have made communication and connections relatively easy. Owing to the latest innovations, staying in touch with your loved ones is now much more feasible than back in the day. Skype is a useful app that has enabled its users to communicate while sitting miles apart and even lets you hold video calls.
Sometimes, Skype can encounter problems in video playing, which can cause some significant nuisance. If you have been dealing with similar issues and wish to learn how to fix Skype video, continue reading.
Part 1: Troubleshooting Skype Video Not Working in Windows 10
In case you have been wondering, "how do I fix my Skype video" here are three efficient methods for you to resolve the issue on Windows 10.
Method 1: Update Windows
An outdated Windows can cause several problems for users. It is essential always to have the latest versions of software and apps installed to avoid arising issues. You can manually update your Windows regularly or can configure Windows to do the task automatically.
To check for updates, follow the steps given below.
1. Press the keys "Windows+I" to open the "Settings" menu.
2. Once in the Settings tab, navigate to the "Update and Security" option and select it.
3. The panel shall display an option that reads "Check for updates." Click on that button to enable Windows to search for updates.
If updates are available, install them and restart your device. Check Skype to see if the issue is resolved or not.
Method 2: Install Default Generic Drivers
In some cases, it so happens that the driver software is not updated or is not supported. This can cause problems to arise in playback or other processes. To avoid these, it is necessary to install and update your driver software. Switching to a default local driver can sometimes help to get rid of the issue effectively.
1. To install generic drivers, here is a step-by-step guide.
2. Press the keys "Windows+X" simultaneously.
3. A list of programs will open. From there, choose the option "Device Manager."
4. In the pop-up window, look for the webcam option.
5. Expand the list and search for your webcam driver
6. Once located, right-click on it and choose "Update Driver" from the menu.
7. From the options, select "Browse my computer for driver software."
8. Then, choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
9. Select the "USB Video Device" option and click on "Next."
10. From there, follow the instructions provided on the screen and finish the task.
Method 3: Configure Webcam to Skype
Sometimes, the video issues you are facing might be due to hardware malfunctions. If the camera is not configured correctly to the app, you are bound to face some significant problems. To configure the camera to Skype, follow the steps given below.
1. Launch the Skype app and navigate to "Tools."
2. After clicking on "Tools," select "Options."
3. From the menu present on the left, open "Video Settings."
4. In the options that pop up, ensure that the camera is enabled in the right pane. If not, click on it to select
5. Tap on the "Save" button, and you are all done.
The steps mentioned above should help you get rid of the problem on your Windows 10.
Part 2: How to Fix Skype Video Not Working on Mac
If you are a Mac user and wish to know how to fix Skype video on Mac, here are a few methods to help you get rid of the issue once and for all.
Method 1: Turn On the Camera
In the Mac operating system, there are slightly different variations to perform tasks. If you are having trouble with your videos on Skype, here is a quick and easy solution to help you fix the problem. Follow the steps given below.
1. Launch the Skype app
2. On the top left corner, an option reads as "Skype." Click on it
3. In the dropdown menu, look for the option "Preferences" and open it.
4. Under the Preferences tab, select the video option.
5. In the checkboxes present, tick the "Enable Skype Video" one.
These steps should help the app automatically configure with a camera and turn it on and off whenever it is launched. It will hopefully help to fix the Skype video issue.
Method 2: Force-Stop the Camera App
In cases where the app is too stubborn to close on its own, force-quitting it is the only option left. Force stopping will enable the app to get a fresh start with newly launched updates and configurations. It can be done via various ways, such as from terminal or Activity monitor.
To force-quit the camera from the terminal, proceed as indicated by the following steps.
1. Open the "Finder" window on your Mac and go to the utility folder. From there, open "Terminal."
2. In the window, type the command "sudo killall VDCAssistant."
3. After hitting the "Enter" key, you shall be asked to insert your password.
4. If all the running applications are closed, it shall result in no output. Check to see if your video issue has been resolved.
The VDC Assistant is a camera plugin that is a system-built background running program. Its complications can affect the smooth running of various apps, including Skype. Once no output comes up, it means that the background running apps are closed.
Alternatively, you can use Activity Monitor to force-quit the camera on Mac. To do so, proceed as below.
1. Open the Activity Monitor on your Mac from Finder or Utilities folder.
2. A CPU tab shall be present at the top. Click on it
3. Several processes in action shall be visible. In the search box current on the top right, type "VDC."
4. The screen shall display the sole option of VDCAssistant. Select that
5. On the top left corner of the screen, a small "X" icon shall be visible. Tap on it to end the process. It shall result in the force-stop of all running programs.
Method 3: Perform MacBook Reboot in Safe Mode
Rebooting your Mac can fix several underlying issues. Doing so in safe mode guarantees no disruptions and other background checks. These include preventing automatic startups, deleting cache, and repair of directory issues wherever required.
Here are the steps to perform a reboot of your MacBook.
1. First, go to the Apple "Menu," and then choose "Shut Down."
2. Once it shuts down, wait for 10 seconds.
3. Turn on your Mac again, then immediately click and hold the "Shift" key.
4. Once the login window appears, release the Shift key.
The Safe Mode can help you troubleshoot the Skype video problem. If no issues arise, this indicates that the issue was in the directory or cache.
Applications and software face trouble all the time. Video playback issues in Skype can prove to be highly annoying. From business meetings to home calls, video disruption can cause severe irritation and displeasure. Hopefully, the above-mentioned methods can prove useful in letting you fix the Skype video issue.
If you are looking to repair videos that accidentally get corrupted or face problems in not being able to play your videos effectively, try the Wondershare Repairit.
This beneficial tool enables its users to repair corrupted or problematic video files of virtually all formats like MP4 or MOV. The software features a user-friendly interface and provides instant and effective results. It also serves various other advantages and tools to offer finer outcomes. It is certainly a suitable choice for video repairing.