You decide to watch your favorite video on your computer/laptop and got an error message "encountered a problem while playing the file." This error may be due to bad sectors on the hard drives, or the file may be damaged or corrupted. But as the problem is related to the index so that AVI files can be repaired.
Learn here "how to repair AVI files in VLC," and we will also provide you effective restore software solution with a step-by-step guide that can help you repair corrupt AVI Files.
There are times when VLC Player completely refuses to play videos such as AVI. We have the solution to play AVI files on VLC.
Does VLC Play AVI files?
Yes, the VLC media player is reliable software for playing AVI files. Therefore, VLC repairs AVI and supports all file formats,, and is a compelling player. Even Windows users prefer it a less powerful application like Windows Media Player.
Problems and Causes of VLC AVI Not Playing
VLC is a dominant media player, but some files may experience failures when playing on VLC, such as the AVI codec. VLC has compatibility issues with the AVI codec used to compress the file.
The AVI file has audio and video data streams to play together in synchronization. So, when an AVI file has a video stream with a modern codec for compression, VLC can't play it as it cannot decompress that codec.
Other problems include:
- Files are stored on some defective storage medium, like the corrupted SD card.
- Viruses and malware change the video file structure.
- Video editing using unreliable video editors.
But do not worry. In this article,, you learn how to repair AVI files in a VLC media player.
Repair your corrupted AVI files in several ways.
Step 1. Identify Not Playing Problems
Similar to other media files, AVI files also get corrupted. They can get corrupted no matter where they are stored, be it can be USB flash drive, hard drive, memory card, or other reasons.
- File transfer error.
- Recovered videos are corrupt.
- Virus and malware attacks.
- Playing videos on unreliable third-party media players.
- Incorrect system shutdown.
- Incorrect download.
- Video compression issues.
- Read and write errors in the file.
- Computer system crash.
- Video format change.
Video corruption is not the only reason that restricts AVI files from playing. There are several problems associated with it. Like:
- Incompatible media player version.
- Issues with media player.
- Broken AVI file.
- Not using write decompressor to read particular compression format.
So, it is essential first to identify the problem of not playing the video.
Step 2. Solve VLC Media Player Problems
Solution 1: Change the Caching Value
If the VLC media player is overdue while playing the video, you can resolve this issue by changing the caching value.
Solution 2: Try Disabling MKV File Preloading
Some users have solved the issue that the VLC media player continues to crash by disabling MKV preloading files.
A comprehensive guide to solve VLC MKV problems.
Solution 3: Reinstall the VLC Player
If your VLC media player continues to crash, the problem is not resolved with the above solutions, try reinstalling the VLC player to resolve this issue.
Solution 4: Disable Hardware Decoding
You can resolve this problem by disabling hardware decoding. This is a useful feature, but it can sometimes cause conflicts with specific drivers.
You can also change the power setting, Fix/remove Corrupt Files, or perform Compatibility Settings to Solve VLC Media Player Problems.
Step 3. Repair Corrupted AVI Files on Computer
To repair the AVI file not playing in VLC and different issues related to it, you can use Wondershare Repairit Video Repair software. It can be used to fix different video formats, like MP4, MOV, AVI, etc.
Follow the below steps to repair AVI files with Wondershare Repairit.
Stage 1: Add your corrupted video
Download and launch the Wondershare Repairit software in your system. Now add a corrupted video by clicking on "Add video" and then start repairing.
After adding a corrupted video, the interface displays the damaged video's information as file name, file path, file size, creation date, and procedure.
Stage 2: Repair your corrupted videos
Once you have successfully added the video that needs repair, then begin the repair process.
Stage 3: Preview your repaired video
Preview the video to check whether the repair is done successfully. If you are satisfied with the repair process, you can save the video. Else proceed to the next step.
Stage 4: Add sample video via Advanced Mode
If the repair is not done successfully, you can fix it with a sample video. Click on the "Advanced Repair" option and then reach the folder icon for adding your sample video. This is a reference for repairing. The sample video is the same format and should also be recorded from the same device as your corrupted AVI files.
Stage 5: Save your repaired video
In the end, select the "Save" button and pick the destination to save the repaired video.
Step 4. Open and Play AVI Files in VLC
All you need is a VLC player,, and follow the few steps given below.
- Select the .avi video format that you want to play.
- Click on the "Media," and a drop-down will appear.
- Click on the "Open File" icon from options and Find and click the avi video you want to play.
When you click Open with VLC, the video will automatically play on the VLC media. You can adjust the volume, the aspect ratio of the brightness, and maximize the screen to enjoy the video.
Step 5. Solve Other AVI File Issues
Apart from video corruption, there are several other issues with the file that restricts it from playing. Here are some of the other solutions to solve different AVI file issues.
Input File Is Not an AVI File
If you frequently get a "The input file is not an AVI file" error message, the AVI file is permanently corrupted. In this case, the system in which you copied AVI files may have been infected with viruses that have damaged them.
First, check whether the correct codec is installed or not. If there is a codec problem, resolve it by installing the codec to play the AVI file. If all is well and the AVI file still displays an error message, use Wondershare video repair software immediately to resolve the issues.
AVI File Not Recognized As AVI
When you try to play it on the Windows media player or any other media player, it searches for a particular codec. If it does not find the required codec, it displays a message "AVI file not recognized as AVI." In this case, use Wondershare video repair software to resolve the issues.
AVI File No Sound
The AVI file container is a well-known audio and video data container that promises quality video with audio playback. This file container contains codecs, which are essential information about encoding and decoding AVI video files. If the audio and video codecs are damaged or if they are not correctly synchronized, it can create a file to play the video only but no audio.
Therefore, if AVI files do not play audio with video and display a message "avi file no sound," you can try to redownload the AVI files or its codec pack. However, if the problem persists, third-party software like Wondershare Video Repair is the best solution.
When you try to play your AVI files, you will come across several players. But VLC is the best of all. Check out how to use VLC to play your AVI files on your Windows or Mac operating system.
Which player is best for AVI files?
In today's era, technology has become advanced. Watching movies and videos has to turn out to be as simple as making a call and can even be done via your smartphone, tablets, and laptops from anywhere. There are many AVI or video players like Feather, Gplayer, Dice Player, and so on, but if you want to enjoy high-quality videos on your device, you need to download VLC PLAYER; it's one of the most compatible and effective.
- The VLC player is one of the best multiplatform and multi-format multimedia players worldwide and works on Android, Mac, or iOS devices.
- VLC Player is a free, open-source, stable, light, and flexible player.
- It's easy to use a player that supports multiple formats and, therefore, a popular choice for most users.
- With an essential interface, it is ideal for beginners.
- What makes it unique is the fact that it plays in both HD and BluRay.
- It has a main and elegant interface that looks great when downloaded and used on Windows devices.
How can I play AVI files on my PC?
Follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Choose the latest version compatible with your computer and install VLC on your PC.
- Choose the .avi video format you want to play, then right-click on it.
- A drop-down list will appear on the right or the left, and then click on "Open file." From there, hover the cursor and Find and click the avi video you want to play.
- Hence, when you click Open with VLC, the video will automatically play on the VLC media. From here, you can adjust the volume, the aspect ratio of the brightness, and maximize the screen to enjoy the video.
How do I play AVI files on Mac QuickTime?
Mac users can play AVI files on the VLC media player for Mac. This player is reliable because you can manage your playlist and make volume and contrast adjustments. To play your .avi video file, follow the below steps.
- Download the VLC media player on your Mac and install it correctly on your computer. This application is easily accessible online.
- The open media player on your Mac. In the main "Menu," click on "File," a drop-down menu will appear.
- Click on "Open," which will direct you to the location of the stored videos and files. Find and click the avi video you want to play. You can also drag the AVI video to the VLC to play it.
- Now click on "Open" after choosing the AVI video. It will play your selected video on the VLC media player.
VLC is the best media player to play AVI files and various other video formats. If your AVI video cannot play on VLC, then the methods discussed above will fix the issue.
Therefore, the article shows you "how to repair AVI files in VLC," especially using Wondershare video repair. Be very careful while recording, transferring, and viewing AVI files. Moreover, use only high-quality recording devices foe eliminating any corruption issue of the original AVI file.