If you also forgot the password of your zip file, this article is for you. In this article, we have talked about some of the significant issues that people are facing nowadays to unzip password protected zip files. Here we have talked about some of the critical topics that are listed below:
How Zip Files Work
Almost everybody knows how the Folder in Windows works, what you need to do is, just drop all your files into the single Folder. Now you can transport the Folder along with all your contents in it anywhere on your computer, or you may also copy that Folder to some other hard drive.
Well, if we talk about the zip files, they also work similarly, but you may have noticed that when you drop your files in a "folder" (Zip File), the size of the zip file is compressed to reduce the storage used.
Advantages of Zipping over Folder
Think of a folder that have 20 files in it, and you want to Email that Folder to someone, is that possible? Actually no!! It is not possible to send the Folder containing 20 files. You have to carry all those 20 files individually. That's where Zip Files beats the Folder if you zip up the 20 files in a single Zip archive the size of that Zip will be compressed and you can even transmit it across the internet easily via Email as well. Also, you can encrypt your Zip file that is one most essential benefits of zip files over regular Folders.
How to open encrypted zip files
- If you are trying to extract password protected zip file in WinRAR, it will ask you to enter the correct password as you click the OK button in the "Extraction path and option". It will get open only when you enter the Correct Password and then you can successfully extract the Zip file.
- If you are trying to extract password protected zip in a WinZip, and once you click the open button, you will be asked to enter the password of that Zip file if the file is password protected. Until and unless you won't enter the right password, you cannot open/decrypt or extract the Zip file in WinZip.
- If you are trying to extract password protected zip into the 7-Zip, you just need to enter the password once the 7-Zip Extract window appears on the screen. Once you have entered your password, click on the OK button or open a zipped file to open or extract the file.
How to open encrypted zip files without password
To unzip a password protected zip file you need to have a tool, without it, you cannot open or unlock zip file without password. The tool regarding which we are discussing is called John the Ripper.
Follow the steps Down below that will lead you to an unzip password protected zip file of yours.
**Note: This tutorial is applicable when you extract the downloaded file on the desktop.
Step 1 – Download the download John the Ripper tool. You can download it from the link given below:
Step 2 – The downloaded file will be in zip format, and you need to extract that file.
Step 3 – Once you Extract the zip file (John the Ripper), it will be in Folder format.
Step 4 – Open the Folder, and you will see the "Run" folder in it.
Step 5 – Copy the unzipped password protected zip file into the "Run" folder.
Step 6 – Now, you need to open the command prompt from the "Start Button".
Step 7 – Type: cd desktop
Type: cd john180j1w
Type: cd run
Step 8 – Type: zip2john.exe [name of your file, for example,"protectedzip.zip"]> hash.txt
**note: there is not  in the command.
Step 9 – Type: John.exe [name of your file] hash.txt
Password will be shown in front of your file name.
More Related Articles:
Bonus Tip: How to Repair the Corrupted ZIP File
When it comes to the best file repair tool to repair ZIP files, then the Stellar File Repair Toolkit comes across as the most trusted and efficient of solutions. You can use this tool to repair and recover your ZIP files, repair the corrupt MS PowerPoint files, MS Word documents, and even your MS Excel Workbooks. Think of this as your one-stop corrupt-file repair shop. With all those versatile features- you also have a 30-day money-back guarantee. In case the tool does not deliver the desired results, then you can easily get back all your money!
- Allows you to repair four different types of files namely, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Zip.
- Extremely easy to use and is designed in such a manner that anyone can use it to repair corrupted files.
- Offers many excellent search options to find corrupted files in an instant.
- Provides an extraordinary preview feature that allows you to see the contents of the file to be repaired.
- Capable of recovering all of the data contained in the corrupted file.
Download Stellar File Repair Tool on your PC, launch it and with the Repair ZIP File option start to repairing process.
Step 1 Select corrupt ZIP files from the local drive and search.
Step 2 All corrupt ZIP file lists in the result section, and click the Repair button.
Step 3 After the repairing process finished, preview the repaired ZIP file
Step 4 Save the extracted password protected ZIP file to a desired location.
The Bottom Line
In this article we have talked about lots of crucial questions that people are facing nowadays, we have talked about how to unzip the password protected zip files, how to open a password protected zip file, and how to zip file works. If you forgot the password of your zip file, don't worry, in this article we have given you the step-by-step tutorial through which you will know how you can open the password protected zip file.