How do I change RTF to PDF on my phone or computer so that I can share the document with others and keep it secure?
As a friend of mine asked me this, I realized that so many people find it hard to save PDF as RTF or vice versa. You might already know that RTF (Rich Text Format) is a popular cross-platform format that is used to store and exchange documents. Since these documents are easy to edit, a lot of people would like to convert RTF to PDF on iPhone, Android, or their systems to keep them authentic. Therefore, to help you learn how to change RTF to PDF on iPhone/Android/Windows/Mac, I have come up with these detailed solutions here.
In this article
Since RTF is developed by Microsoft, you can easily convert it to PDF on Windows 10 using any native or third-party application. Ideally, you can use any inbuilt application in Windows 10 like WordPad to meet your requirements or can also take the assistance of MS Word.
To learn how do I change RTF to PDF on Windows 10, you would simply need the inbuilt Microsoft Print to PDF plugin in Windows. You can use the inbuilt plugin on WordPad or Word to directly print your documents as a PDF file. Here’s how you can also use WordPad to save RTF files as PDF on Windows:
Step 1: Open the RTF File on WordPad
Firstly, you can just locate the RTF file on your computer, right-click it, and choose to open it with WordPad or MS Word. The process to convert RTF to PDF is the same on both these applications.
Step 2: Choose to Print the RTF File on WordPad
Let’s say we have opened the RTF file on WordPad in Windows 10. Now, to convert it to a PDF document, you can just go to its Menu > File and choose to print the file instead.
Step 3: Print the RTF File as a PDF on Windows 10
This will open a new pop-up window on WordPad with dedicated options to print the file. From the list of the available printers, you can simply select the “Microsoft Print to PDF” feature. You can also set up different preferences and select the number of pages you want to print.
Afterward, just click on the “Print” button and go to the preferred location on your system where you want to save your PDF file.
Just like Windows, you can also convert an RTF file to a supported PDF format on Mac. For this, you can use its inbuilt text editor app or any other third-party web or desktop application to meet your requirements.
I would recommend TextEdit as it is an inbuilt application in Mac, and you won’t have to pay anything to use it. All you need to do is simply open the RTF file on the TextEdit application and export it as a PDF on your Mac. To know how do I change RTF to PDF on Mac, you can also follow these steps:
Step 1: Open the RTF File on TextEdit
At first, you can just locate the RTF file on your Mac, right-click it, and choose to open it with the TextEdit app. Alternatively, you can also go to the Finder > Applications > TextEdit app to open it. Once the TextEdit app is launched, you can manually load any RTF file on it.
Step 2: Export the RTF File as a PDF on Mac
After opening the RTF file on your Mac, you can use the inbuilt features of TextEdit to make any changes in it. Now, to save it as a PDF document, you can go to its Main Menu > File and click on the “Export as PDF” button.
This will open a browser window, letting you select any location on your Mac where the converted PDF file would be saved.
Now when you know seamless solutions to export RTF documents as PDF on Windows and Mac, let’s learn how to change RTF to PDF on iPhone and Android as well. While there are plenty of apps that can save PDF as RTF or vice versa, I would recommend exploring the following options.
1. PDF Converter: Documents to PDF
This is a smart and user-friendly iPhone app that can help you create, edit, and manage your PDF documents. You can directly scan a file or create a new PDF document from an RTF file.
- The PDF converter will let you load an RTF document, make changes to it, and save it as a PDF file on your iPhone.
- There are also options to convert DOC, PPT, XLS, and HTML files to PDF in a similar way
- PDF Converter also supports inbuilt options to add signatures to PDF documents or annotate them.
- You can integrate cloud-based platforms like Google Drive, Box, iCloud, Dropbox, etc. to sync and save your documents.
Runs on: iOS 12 or later version
Price: Free or $19.99 (one-time)
2. Microsoft Word iPhone/Android App
If you are looking for a free solution to manage your documents and convert them to PDF files, then why not try the smartphone app of MS Word. Developed by Microsoft, Word provides a free solution to manage and convert our RTF/DOC files to PDF on Android and iOS devices.
- You can simply load any RTF file on Word (or create a new one) and go to its Menu to export it as a PDF.
- Since the MS Word mobile app has an inbuilt “Save as PDF” feature, there is no need to use any other third-party application.
- All the basic features for text editing and conversion are freely available on the MS Word mobile app.
- You can also use the app to read RTF/DOC files, edit them, track changes, make annotations, and do so much more.
Runs on: iOS 13+ or Android 6.0+
3. The Document Converter
Developed by Float Tech, this is one of the simplest ways to learn how to change RTF to PDF on iPhone. The application can help you convert your documents into multiple formats such as PDF, DOC, HTML, JPG, TXT, RTF, and many more.
- You can just load the RTF file on the app, select PDF as the target format, and convert your files.
- Besides PDF, The Document Converter can also export your files into 10+ other formats like JPG, DOC, HTML, and more.
- Once the RTF file has been converted to a PDF, you can directly share it on social media platforms by generating its unique URL.
Runs on: iOS 12 or later versions
Price: Free or $9.99 (premium for a lifetime)
4. PDF Converter by CometDocs
CometDocs has also come up with a smart and fast solution to convert documents from other formats to PDF easily.
- You can load any RTF file on the PDF Converter app on your iPhone or Android and mark PDF as a target format.
- Not just RTF, the application can export files from other formats such as DOC, PPT, JPG, and more to PDF.
- After converting RTF files to PDF, you can download them on your phone’s storage or share the file on other platforms.
Runs on: iOS 9+ or Android 6+
Price: Free or $9.99
5. PDF Export
Lastly, you can use the PDF Export application to learn how to change RTF to PDF on iPhone directly. The app can take input from other formats and export them as a PDF document.
- You can directly import your RTF or DOC file, create them as a PDF document, and save them on your iPhone storage.
- There are also advanced features to convert MS Office files (like DOC, PPT, and XLS) to PDF documents as well.
Runs on: iOS 12 or later
Price: Free or $1.99
As you can see, it is quite easy to know how to change RTF to PDF on iPhone, Android, Windows, or Mac. To help you save RTF as a PDF, I have come up with step-by-step solutions that you can follow on your Windows or Mac systems. Besides that, I have also listed 5 popular and user-friendly apps that you can use to convert RTF to PDF on iPhone or Android. Go ahead and try these solutions to save RTF as PDF without facing any complications.