Overview of DOC and DOCX Word Files
MS Word is an incredible word processing software application that has been extensively used by people all over the world ever since it was launched in the year 1983 by Microsoft. Word is a word editing software that is utilized to create reports and documents. In the beginning, up until the year 2002, MS Word used the file format .DOC.
However, now the file format that MS Word files utilize is .DOCX. The good news is that both these file formats are compatible with all the latest versions of the software application. So, you can open both DOC and DOCX files in MS Word 2003 and all subsequent recent versions with consummate ease.
Both DOC and DOCX Word files can get corrupted in specific situations. The following are some of the instances in which corruption of the Word files becomes inevitable.
- Malicious Software: If there are malicious software programs like viruses or bugs hiding on your PC then they will look to infect the files found on your system. They will target the DOC and DOCX Word files too and might get them corrupted.
- File Transfer Issues: MS Word files in both DOC and DOCX formats can be transferred from one storage media to another quite easily. However, if you eject the storage device before the file has been completely transferred then it will become damaged and some or all of its data is going to be lost.
- MS Word Crashes: MS Word crashes are also responsible for DOC and DOCX Word file corruption too. If the MS Word software develops an issue then it will keep on corrupting the Word files that are opened using it.
- Accidental Loss of Power: Accidental power loss is another possible reason for Word file corruption as well. Since it will cause the Word files to close without being properly saved, it might cause them to corrupt.
Part 1: How to Repair Corrupt DOC and DOCX Word Files
DOC and DOCX Word files that get corrupted can't be restored using traditional methods. You will have to make use of a Word doc repair tool to get back the data that is present on them. These tools can repair doc file with consummate ease. However, not all such tools are made the same. Some of them are better at repairing DOC and DOCX Word files than others. Stellar Phoenix Word Repair is one such Word doc repair tool. It has all the attributes present in it that help it to repair doc file in a few simple clicks of the mouse button.
- Word Repair Tool can safely repair corrupted Word files while preserving the original style and formatting of the document.
- It has a search function that helps you quickly locate your files even if you don't know their exact location.
- After you have selected and eventually scanned a document, you can preview it in three different modes.
- Word Repair is a Word document repair tool designed to fix almost all the word documents corruption errors.
- You can choose between three different recovery modes: "Simple Repair", "Advanced Repair" and "Raw Recovery". One of these recovery methods will surely help you repair corrupted Word files.
- Repairs corrupt MS Word file created in MS Word 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2000
- Supports Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, 2003, XP, 2000, and NT
Here is a tutorial that has been put together for you to see how you can use the Stellar Phoenix Word Repair to repair doc file.
Step 1 To searching for corrupt DOC and DOCX files on the system. Hit either 'Select File', 'Search Files', or 'Select Folder' buttons.
Step 2 All the corrupt DOC and DOCX files that have been selected. Hit the 'Scan' button to complete this step.
Step 3 Double-click on the corrupt file which is located in the family tree on the left of the screen to preview the repaired Word files.
Step 4 Click 'Default Location' or 'Select New Folder' button to save the corrupt DOC and DOCX Word files.
Corruption of DOC and DOCX files is a serious issue. Fortunately, it can be avoided by following some simple tips.
- Make sure that you don't eject the external storage device when Word files are being transferred from the PC to them.
- Always ensure that the version of MS Word you are using is up-to-date. If there is a new version of the software available then don't hesitate to upgrade to it.
- Invest in a good anti-virus software program and a UPS. Both are going to ensure that you don't have to worry about issues like viruses and unexpected power loss.
- If you accidentally deleted your word documents, Recoverit Data Recovery Software could help you to recover word document.