Even with the rise of various instant messaging apps like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, etc., we still heavily rely on emails for communication, especially in business.
That’s why there is always a need for a great email provider, and Telkom is one of the greatest in Africa. The company offers internet, telephony, and other communication services for individuals, homes, large businesses, and enterprises in South Africa, including the Telkom internet email service.
Today, we will tell you more about this service, guide you on the setup process, and provide possible fixes to its not-so-great sides.
In this article
What Is Telkom Internet Email?
Created and managed by Telkom, the internet mail service is a part of Telkom’s various internet services and goes alongside broadband internet and mobile networks. It allows Telkom’s users to make custom “@telkomsa.net” email addresses and access the service entirely free.
It’s worth noting that although the Telkom service is based in South Africa, their services are also available in Nigeria through the company’s Multi-Links division and in other parts of the continent outside of South Africa through the Other International division.
How to Set Up Telkom Internet Email
Creating a custom email address and registering for the service can be incredibly straightforward. Nevertheless, we’ve included short step-by-step guides on setting up the Telkom internet mail service on both computers and phones, which you can find below.
Setting up Telkom Internet Email on Your Phone
As various Telkom internet email users are primarily phone users, we’ll first cover the setup part on the phone. For our example, we’ll use an iOS device, but the process is similar for an Android device and will require similar steps. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Step 1: Head into Settings.
- Step 2: Choose Mail > Accounts > Add Account.
- Step 3: Choose Other > Add Mail Account.
- Step 4: Input your name, email address, and the description.
- Step 5: Choose POP in the top right corner, and input “pop3.Telkom.co.za” into the Incoming Mail Server field.
- Step 6: For SMTP settings, input “smtp.Telkom.co.za” and hit Next.
- Step 7: Hit Save to finish the setup.
Your Telkom internet email account should now successfully work with your iPhone. If it doesn’t, recheck and ensure you’ve added the correct information during setup.
Moreover, if you’re doing it on an Android, you can follow the steps above, but the first part of the guide and where the main Add Account button is will likely be a bit different than the guide for iOS.
Setting up Telkom Internet Mail on Your Computer
This part of the guide will depend on your app, but we’ve written steps for the default Windows Live Mail app, which might benefit other apps, manuals, and setups. Here’s what you’ll need to do to set up a Telkom internet mail service on your Windows PC:
- Step 1: Launch the Windows Live Mail app on your PC.
- Step 2: Hit Accounts > Email and add your email account credentials and a display name > Next.
- Step 3: Go through the setup process and choose the manual server settings configuration > Next.
- Step 4: Choose POP3 and enter “pop3.Telkom.co.za”.
- Step 5: Under SMTP, enter “smtp.Telkom.co.za”.
- Step 6: Hit Next and then Finish to complete the setup process.
That’s it. That’s all you have to do on the PC. You should now be able to use your Telkom internet email account on your PC through the Windows Live Mail app.
How to Login to Your Telkom Internet Email Account
Once you’ve registered a valid email address with Telkom, you can successfully log into the internet email account. There are three ways of doing it: through the sign-in page in your browser, on your PC through an app such as Windows Live Mail, or through a Telkom webmail app available for Windows, iOS, and Android.
Using the default sign-in page is the easiest of the three ways. The other two ways are similar, so the steps below might guide you in those two ways, too. It only takes a few steps, but we’ve still written them in case you need help.
Here’s what you’ll need to do to log in to your account through Telkom’s website:
- Step 1: Head to the Telkom internet email page. It’ll be a simple browser search away.
- Step 2: Enter the email address you’ve received from Telkom. It can be the email ending in “@telkomsa.net,” but it doesn’t necessarily have to be such an email address.
- Step 3: Input the password you chose during account registration.
And that’s all it takes to log in to your Telkom internet email account. So, start writing those emails and connecting with your family, friends, and colleagues.
Main Issues With Telkom Internet Email and How to Fix Them
It’s not all sunshine and rainbows, however. Like any other email service, Telkom internet email is far from perfect. Namely, certain disadvantages exist with the service, which might mean the difference between the service being the right choice.
However, it would be best to decide that for yourself once you learn more about issues with Telkom internet email, which we’ll describe below.
- Login issues – Telkom’s users sometimes struggle with various login issues, which can be incredibly frustrating. Namely, sometimes the Telkom internet email service doesn’t work, and the page becomes completely unresponsive, leaving users stranded and unable to access their emails for a few minutes.
- Limited storage – If you’re a business user with serious email needs and hundreds of daily emails, then the Telkom internet mail service might not be the best choice, as various users report that it doesn’t have enough storage.
- Lack of features – Depending on your email needs, you might spend a lot of time in the email app. That’s precisely why you want customization options that are somewhat lackluster regarding Telkom. Other missing features that users dislike are connected to search and organization tools.
- Limited spam filters – Telkom’s internet email service, like many other email clients and apps, employs a range of filters to keep your inbox from flooding with spam mail. However, it’s not always the best at it, as it occasionally marks legitimate emails as spam and spam emails as legitimate, meaning it’s not very effective.
- Lost or corrupt emails – There aren’t many great search, organization, or backup options, so you must rely on manual backups and email deletion to keep your conversations organized. However, this can lead to lost conversations or corrupt email backups, which might mean losing essential email data.
One of these issues is easily fixable – corrupt or lost emails. Every email service can experience these, and that’s where dedicated email repair apps can immensely help. One such app is Wondershare Repairit, and it has a particularly useful Repairit for Email feature that can quickly retrieve your conversations with just a few steps, no matter when they were lost.
Repairit for Email can handle emails lost due to bad sectors on hard disks, computer crashes, virus attacks, accidental deletion, PST/OST file malfunction, computers suddenly shutting down, and much more. However it happened, the tool can effortlessly fix the corrupt or lost email issue and help with Telkom’s internet email service, too.
A Telkom internet email account is a great and entirely free way for users to get a custom email address, access their emails, and communicate with their family, friends, and acquaintances. Although the service was created by Telkom, a South African telecommunication services company, it’s not bound to this region, as users worldwide can enjoy this excellent email service provider.
However, like other email services, this one has a few disadvantages, but some of these can be fixed. For example, suppose you ever run into issues with corrupted or lost emails. In that case, you can employ Wondershare Recoverit and its powerful Recoverit for Email feature to quickly retrieve your emails, notes, and attachments, regardless of how long they’ve been gone.