Troubleshoot for Common Facebook Video Problems
Q: Recently, my Facebook has been throwing up a lot of eerie issues like the black screen on Facebook videos, sound not working on facebook. These issues keep preventing me from connecting with loved ones. What should I do?
Facebook problems can result from several causes, ranging from hardware to software and network connection. The most common that has left many a Facebook users gaping listlessly at their screens include screens turning green, no sound on Facebook videos, annoying buffering of Facebook videos, etc.
Fortunately, there are swift troubleshooting techniques that you can deploy to easily resolve these problems.
1. Facebook Videos No Sound on iPhone/iPad
This is another problem that could be traced to both hardware and software sources. The two most likely sources you should check firstly are your iOS device's speaker settings and your Facebook app. You might have turned down the volume of your device when you were in an important meeting or sleeping, and then forgot to return the volume afterward. Also, your Facebook app might be suffering from a bug or glitch that interferes with the app's video and audio output.
Check the loud mode
- Firstly, ensure your device has not been placed in silent mode.
- Secondly, go to your device root directory, and then enter the search term "/System/Library/LaunchDeamons, locate the file com.apple.iapd.plist".
- You'll find options for turning on or off vibration. If vibrate is on, toggle it off and then playback your Facebook video to see if the sound will return.
- If that doesn't resolve the problem, check to see if the hidden Mute button is turned off. On the home screen of your iOS device, check if the mute button glows in white, and if it does, tap on it to turn grey and deactivate the Mute mode.
Check your Bluetooth connections
Perhaps you might have paired your iOS device with other devices such as a wireless headphone, an audio player, a gaming console, or a Mac, and forgot to disconnect the Bluetooth device.
Delete and reinstall facebook App
If your system's sound production is not to blame for your no sound on Facebook video issue, and other apps on your phone do not have similar video sound problems, then you might want to reinstall your Facebook app. If your Facebook app has a glitch, uninstalling and reinstalling it can help automatically fix the glitch.
2. Facebook Sound Not Working in Chrome
First, try playing the video on other browsers to see if the problem is unique to Chrome. If it is, then tries out the following solutions:
Check the browser's volume level
- Launch your Chrome, open the browser menu at the top right corner, and then go to Settings > Privacy and Security > Content Settings > Sound.
- Now, check to see if your sound settings allow sites to play sounds.
Clear cache, cookies, and history
- On your Chrome's home screen, open the browser menu, select options, and then click on the lock icon to access the Security & Privacy options.
- Next, tick the boxes all your browsing data, including your cached files and history, and then tap Clear data.
Now, restart your Chrome and then playback the Facebook video. Your video sound should be back on.
3. Facebook Videos No Sound on PC/Mac
Check your sound settings
Hover your mouse on your speaker menu and make sure your PC/Mac's volume turned up. Also, try using different audio output channels.
Install the most recent drivers for your sound card and motherboard
Your sound drivers may fail in the wake of a new OS update, due to compatibility issues. If you updated your OS recently, make sure your drivers are also up to date. To do this,
- Right-click Start, select Device Manager and then open the options for your sound, video, and game controllers.
- On the next page, navigate to your audio device (would typically be the "Intel ® Display Audio" option), right-click on it, and then select the Update driver option. An automatic update should ensue from here. But if not, then on the right-click menu, first click on the Uninstall device option, and then select Action > Scan for hardware changes. This sets off the system to automatically search and install an up-to-date driver.
Run the latest version of Adobe Flash Player
If your system's flash player is problematic, it could lead to widespread video playback issues that might affect your Facebook videos. You might need to reinstall the latest version of the flash player on your computer. To do this,
- Open https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ on your browser, and then download Adobe Flash Player for your system.
- Run the setup file for the player, and then install it.
- Now, restart your browser, and playback the video to see if the problem is gone.
4. Facebook Videos No Sound on Android
Ensure your silent/vibrate settings are off.
Restart your device by holding down the power button.
Try plugging a headphone to the device, and then take them out. This might restore your phone's audio production if it's problematic.
Next, ensure your OS is up to date. Select Settings > about device > software update > check for updates.
This problem is a lot simpler than the others. Almost all the time, it's caused by a slow network connection. You might have to endure a nail-biting buffering spell dragging on for several minutes because your data speeds aren't fast enough to meet up with the huge data requirements of Facebook video playbacks.
Avoid Google Chrome web browser to use Facebook
Chrome loads all the videos on your Facebook page the moment you load the page, and this can significantly drag down your network connection and your CPU's processing speed. But unlike Chrome, other browsers like Safari on Mac and Firefox on PC load videos only when you scroll down to click on the videos.
Avoid plugins and browser extensions
Many plugins are marketed as the best measures to help enhance your browser experience. But on the contrary, they mostly end up worsening your browser experience, so you should avoid them. That's because they use up the CPU space and processing power on your system, hampering your system's overall performance. To boot, these extensions and plugs may also be buggy or downright malicious.
Check your RAM capacity and increase it if necessary
If your system runs out of sufficient memory for its regular operations, the result might manifest as a Facebook video black screen on Android and similar problems. 8GB of RAM is the conventional minimum space required for Macs, Windows, and Linux PCs. For a completely seamless performance regardless of how heavily you multitask your system, you need to maintain a RAM space of at least 16GB.
To check your RAM space on your PC, open your Task Manager, and then click o the memory tab. This will display the RAM space consumed by every running app.
For Macs, go to your Activity Monitor, and then tap on the Memory tab.
Try using Facebook Lite Version (Mobile) or Mobile Version (on PC)
The Facebook Lite version was created specifically for people in countries with slow connections to enjoy faster connections on Facebook. There's a version of Facebook Lite for Android devices, iOS, and PCs.
A green screen on Facebook video problem is one of those issues that can be traced to numerous sources.
For one, if you're using a dated system with worn hardware, or something in your system messes with your hardware, your poor hardware performance might give rise to a green screen on Facebook problems.
You can also trace this problem to outdated graphics drivers. But no worries, we'll show you how to swiftly update your graphic drivers if that's the case.
Another software culprit you should suspect is your flash player if your system still relies heavily on it. If your flash player is problematic, you can also resolve this problem in a breeze to restore your Facebook video quality.
The last but not the least likely source of Facebook video issues is one that even more malicious and might cause more widespread system issues: malicious third party software. You might want to resolve this issue quickly to contain the damage before it spreads throughout your system.
Disable hardware acceleration
For Google Chrome users
- Launch Chrome, and then open the browser menu and go to Settings > Advanced > System.
- On the next screen, uncheck the box for "use hardware acceleration when available".
Now, quit Chrome, and then re-launch it, and then load back the Facebook video to see if the issues have been fixed.
If you're using Firefox,
- Launch your Firefox and open the browser menu on the top right corner, and then go to Options > General > Performance.
- On the next menu that pops up, uncheck the boxes for the "use recommended performance settings" and the "use hardware acceleration when available" options.
- Now, close Firefox, reopen it and then check to see if the problem is gone.
For Internet Explorer users,
- Launch your IE, and then open the settings menu and select Internet Options > Advanced.
- Next, you'll find a menu labeled "Accelerated graphics". Under it, check the box for the option "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering".
- After that, restart your IE, open your Facebook account on the browser, and playback the video to see if it's now displaying normally.
Update your Graphics Card Drivers
If you're still left wondering how to fix black screen on Facebook videos after adjusting your browser's hardware acceleration settings, then the next thing you should check on is the state of your graphic card driver. An old NVIDIA or AMD graphic card might be too outdated to properly process the graphics of your Facebook videos.
You can update your graphic card in a breeze. Simply follow these steps:
- Go to My Computer, right-click on it, and then select Manage > Device Manager > Display Adapters.
- On the next screen, right-click on your graphics driver and select the Update Driver Software option.
- You'll then see a menu where you can select a "search automatically for updated driver software" option. This will trigger the system to search automatically for the latest upgrade for your graphics card.
- Once the system completes its search, restart your PC. While it boots, the system will automatically install the new driver.
- Now launch your browser again and replay the video to see if the problem is vanquished.
Run the troubleshooter
Another troubleshooting technique you can turn to if the ones above do not work for you is to run the troubleshooter on your PC. To do this,
- Open your computer's Settings menu, and then select "Update & Security".
- Next, go to "Troubleshoot > Hardware and Devices", and then select the "Run the troubleshooter" option.
- After the process is completed, reboot your computer.
- Now load your Facebook videos again to see if the problem is gone.
Hacks to Avoid Green Screen Problem in Videos
Are these troubleshooting steps too much of a hassle for you? Well, without them, the only way around the Facebook problem is to avoid the problems in the first place. Here are a few hacks you can use to avoid green screen problems in Facebook videos.
- Play the videos in another browser. Download a new browser if you need to. If the videos play normally there, then you know the problem is restricted to just one of your browsers.
- Having numerous tabs and browsers opened simultaneously can interrupt the display of your Facebook videos. When watching a Facebook video, make sure no other browser tab or windows are left open at the same time.
- A cluttered hard disk space deprives your system of the space it needs for many of its operations, including those related to Facebook video playbacks. Clear out cookies, junk files, and redundant files on your PC/Mac. Also, clear out the cached files on your browsers.
- Also, an updated browser may come with fixes for bugs that could be linked to Facebook video problems, so ensure your browser has all outstanding updates installed in it.
- Lastly, one overarching yet simple troubleshooting technique that works for many different types of video problems is the simple reboot. Yes, you might be shocked to realize that as severe and unyielding as the problem might seem, a simple reboot can cure it. Rebooting can help resolve the conflict between various apps and functions that might hamper your Facebook video playback.
If the methods mentioned above cannot fix your Facebook videos no sound/buffering/green screen, or any other video-related errors, or it is complicated and difficult to perform those methods, a professional video repair software will be your last and ideal choice. Wondershare Repairit - Video Repair stands as the perfect solution within the market.
Wondershare Repairit - Video Repair provides users with the essential platform for repairing their videos in an automated environment. Users can fix their video files to perfection with no necessary effort. Please check its main features below:
Repair damaged video corruption issues, such as video not playing, video no sound, video buffering, video black screen, header corruption, missing video codec, etc.
Repair videos of diverse formats, including MOV, MP4, M2TS, MXF, M4V, WMV, etc.
Repair damaged or corrupted videos caused by video compression, system crash, video format change, etc.
Repair critically damaged or corrupted videos available on SD cards, mobile phones, cameras, USB flash drives, etc.
Repairit has a quick and advanced scanning mode. You can use either depending upon the level of corruption the video file has undergone.
No limit to the damaged video number and size.
Compatible with Windows PC, Mac OS, and supports PC to mobile transferring/sharing.
See how to use Repairit for desktop to fix damaged videos on your computer or Macbook.
Step 1: Open Wondershare Repairit on your PC after installation.
Hit Add Videos to import your damaged videos on its interface.
Step 2: Initiate the video repair process.
After uploading the videos, the program will display the details of each video on the screen, then choose one or choose all uploaded videos and click "Repair" to start the repair process.
Step 3: Preview and save the repaired videos.
Repairit will take a few seconds to get the job done, after the video(s) get repaired, you can click the "Preview" button to check the repaired video quality, then press the “Save” button if your're satisfied with the video quality.
If you're unsatisfied with the result, try the "Advanced Repair" feature to make a more professional video repair process. See a more detailed guide here.
Wondershare Repairit is a desktop application, so you need to repair the files on your Windows PC or MacBook. If you just want to repair videos on your phone and your damaged video is smaller than 3GB, please try the online version of Wondershare Repairit - Online Video Repair. The online version of Repairit supports to repair your corrupted videos freely within seconds and also provides a nice video repair experience for you.
Wondershare Repairit Online
Repair damaged videos with all levels of corruption, such as video not playing, video no sound, out-of-sync video or audio, playback errors, header corruption, flickering video, missing video codec, etc.
It supports customers repair 150 videos per month and supports each video of 3GB online.
Repair critically damaged or corrupted videos available on SD cards, phones, cameras, USB flash drives, and more.
The online version supports various video formats: MOV/MP4/M2TS/MKV/MTS/3GP/AVI/FLV/MXF/M4V.
Security enough: videos are transferred via a 2048-bit encrypted connection and deleted after 3 hours.
It fixes videos online without damaging the original quality or integrity.
There you go. These are all the tips and tricks you need to stay on top of Facebook video problems anytime they rear their ugly heads on your screen, whether it's a Facebook video black screen on the Android problem or a Facebook Video stutter issue. These tips will further enhance your browsing experience by cutting down your data consumption, increasing your connection speeds, and nipping potential threats before they cause system-wide damages.
Q1. How to stop sounds on Facebook?
A1: To turn off in-app sounds:
1. Tap the Triple bar in the bottom right of Facebook.
2. Choose "Settings & Privacy" and tap "Settings".
3. Scroll down to "Media" and click on "Sound".
4. Turn off the In-App Sounds.
Q2. My Facebook keeps switching to light mode! How to fix it?
A2: You can enable dark mode manually by going to Menu > Settings > Settings & Privacy > Dark Mode, turn the "Dark Mode" on will fix the "Facebook keeps switching to light mode" issue.