The H.265 video file format is the successor of the H.264 file format. It is preferred because it offers an improved video quality than other file formats. It also provides 50% higher compression that users get with the H.264. Losing top-quality videos like this can be very frustrating, and it is also unacceptable.
However, finding your H.264 video file corrupt is no reason to discard it. You can use different methods to fix a corrupt H.265 video file, and this article covers it. We also cover the causes of corruption and prevention tips you can use to be on the safe side.
The H.265 file format is also known as the HEVC format. It is a top-quality 4k UHD video that is usually shot on the new and recent high-end cameras. Some cameras which support H.265 include Canon EOS 5 Ds, iPhone, Fujifilm GFX 100, Galaxy S9 Android, and many more. H.265 encodes videos more proficiently than H.264. It is an innovative video compression and aims to transmit higher-quality video under the limited bandwidth, which reduces the size in half.
One of the benefits of the H.265 is that it has a better compression performance which helps to cut storage cost and transmission. You can also convert this video file format to other format types. The H.265 also decreases the design flow rate of video files.
The drawback of this file format is that high-end cameras only use it. Therefore, it is difficult to find H.265 support in most devices because it requires compression and decompression codecs to decode the video format. H.265 also has three patent pools that feature different terms and conditions and pricing structures. Due to this royalty unclarity, many industrial companies have stopped the adoption of H.265.
This H.265 format is not new; it has been around since 2013. Despite this, it is not widely adopted by many devices. That's why most of the causes of H.265 video corruption is the lack of file format support. This could cause the file to become choppy, show error, freeze or become broken. Beyond this, there are many causes of H.265 video corruption, and below are some of them.
Corrupt camera SD card or storage drive: A top reason why your H.265 might be corrupt is because of a corrupt storage device. A major cause of corruption on your SD card is when you use it on various devices. To avoid fixing a corrupt H.265 video file, use your camera SD card on your device only or devices with antivirus.
Sudden interruption during file transfer: If there's a power failure during transfer or the storage device becomes disconnected suddenly, it could lead to corruption of the H.265 video file.
Physically damaged storage media: If there's physical damage to your storage media, then there's a chance for your files to be damaged as well. This damage could be caused by external factors and could damage the storage device irrevocably.
Operating system crash: If the operating system of the device crashes unexpectedly, then the chances are that your file would be affected. This could be a result of a power outage, low storage space, or even malware.
Removing the SD card during the digital camera is on or recording: Users should avoid removing the SD card without going through the proper process. Ensure you don't pull out the SD card, except the camera is off and transfer isn't going off.
Virus or malware attack on your system: A malware attack is a common reason your files might be corrupt. When malware gains access to your device, it could modify, delete or corrupt your files. It could also shut down the device entirely if not dealt with appropriately.
An H.265 file that's not corrupted doesn't need to be discarded. Instead, there are many methods you can employ to get your files back to their original state. You can use some of these solutions even without format support; let's dig in.
1. Download H.265 video codecs
Most of the time, the reason why your H.265 video file isn't playing is due to a lack of video codecs. The chances are that you'll get error messages that a codec is required to play this file or media player encountered an error. Therefore, to fix a corrupt H.265 video file, you should install H.265 codecs on your system. Alternatively, you could get a media player codec pack that includes H.265 codecs.
2. Convert H.265 to H.264 format
If you want to play your H.264 video file and not play, you can simply convert the file format to a standard format. Many people might think that this is not a good idea because it might compromise the video quality. However, this is not typically the case, and the many reasons for switching are when the H.265 video isn't playing on your preferred device. In addition, the top quality of this file format can become a problem for you because it can slow the computer down or make the file choppy. You can convert this video file format to MP4, MOV, 3GP, MKV, AVI, and many more.
You can search for H.265 video converters online that are free. First, however, you have to confirm that your chosen online video converter is free of viruses. Some options you could try out are Convertio or any other. You could also use the VLC media player to carry out the conversion. Follow the process below to use the VLC media player to convert your H.265 file.
- To get started, launch the VLC media player on your PC.
- Secondly, tap on the media button at the top of the app and select convert/save.
- Next, you would see an add button. Click it to add the file you would like to convert.
- Choose the format you would like to convert to.
- Choose the destination of the file and also enter the new file name.
- Once this is done, click start to begin converting your H.265 video file to MP4.
3. Fix corrupt H.265 videos with VLC Player
You can use the VLC media player to fix your files. This player comes with some repairing features to help you fix minor issues with your video file. Below are the vital steps you need to follow to repair your files:
- Firstly, download and launch the VLC media player on your PC. Open the corrupt H.265 file on the VLC media player.
- Click on 'tools,' which is on the menu bar at the top of the page. Click preference from the options displayed.
- This will pop up a new menu; click on input and codec from the top menu and scroll of damaged or incomplete files.
- Next, choose 'always fix' from the options displayed and click start to begin the repair process.
4. Get an H.265 Video Repair Software
A faster option to fix a corrupt H.265 video file is the use of video repair software. A top choice for your file is the use of Wondershare Repairit. It could quickly fix a corrupt H.265 video file, and it is entirely secure. Wondershare Repairit works by restoring the damaged video while ensuring the data remains appropriately intact. You can fix several issues with your H.265 video files like audio lag, video freeze, choppy, broken, truncated, and many more. The best part about Wondershare Repairit Software is that it is fast and only requires three steps to be completed. The top benefits of this software include:
- Repairs unlimited H.265 video files
- It allows you to repair multiple files simultaneously
- It supports several video formats.
Follow the steps below to repair your corrupt H.265 video files:
- First, launch the Wondershare Repairit Software on your device.
- On the homepage, click on add video to choose the video file you would like to repair.
- After selecting the file, click the 'repair' tab to start the repair process.
- After the repair process is complete, preview the file, and if it is not repaired, you can try the advanced repair tool.
- Once your file is repaired, save it to your preferred location. Ensure it is not the same folder where the corrupt files are located.
That's how easily you can do it with speed and easy interface. You will be guided through simple prompts to know the right route.
Note: Read more about What is HEVC Video Format and What Problems You Might Have.
5. Use a HEVC/H.265 supporting video player
If you don't want to convert your H.265 video file or get codecs, you can download supporting video players. Unfortunately, your media player might not be supporting the H.265 video player; that's why you need to try a new video player. If it isn't playing on your mobile device, you can try several other players beyond VLC media players like FVPlayer, MX player, and many more. You can also try 5k player, Blu-ray player, file viewer plus, and many others.
Avoid common mistakes for the future
A corrupt video file is a common issue today. However, you don't always have to look for methods to fix a corrupt H.265 video file. Instead, there are prevention tips you can employ to ensure you don't face this issue in the future. Check out the top tips below to ensure you don't make common mistakes in the future.
- Do not remove your storage device when the camera is recording or while in use.
- Ensure the memory card is always safely ejected from its slot.
- Don't carry out transfers while the battery is running low to avoid system crashes or unexpected interruptions.
- Be very careful while removing unwanted files.
- Do not use the 'delete all' button on your digital camera, and do not mishandle the digital camera.
There are not many media players that support the H.265 format. Therefore, you might come across many issues while trying to play your H.265 file. Some methods you could try are downloading the ideal codecs, convert the file format, or change players to ensure it plays on different devices. However, if these methods are not successful, you have the option of using Wondershare Repairit to repair your files. This software is secure and will ensure your files are returned to their pristine form. You could also employ the prevention tips provided to avoid dealing with these issues in the future. With the information shared in this article, you should have no problem when you try to fix a corrupt H.265 video file.